Sunday, October 3, 2010

Week 9 Lecture

This weeks lecture was on William Gibson and Cyberpunk.
I explained Cyberpunk in last weeks post so will focus more on William Gibson. In his article 'since 1948' he writes:
In 1977, facing first-time parenthood and an absolute lack of enthusiasm for anything like "career," I found myself dusting off my twelve-year-old's interest in science fiction. Simultaneously, weird noises were being heard from New York and London. I took Punk to be the detonation of some slow-fused projectile buried deep in society's flank a decade earlier, and I took it to be, somehow, a sign. And I began, then, to write.

He created the subgenre of science fiction: Cyberpunk. He mixes real events with science fiction to make a statement. I think cyberpunk is one step up from science fiction. In terms of articles and movies i think this innovative idea of joining reality and illusion together can target a much larger audience than science fiction alone. He has written breakthroughs and best sellers such as The Sprawl Trilogy, Neuromancer, The Bridge Trilogy, The Blue Ant Trilogy and many more!

Our essay assignment allows us to choose the topic of William Gibson and another writer. After researching Gibson, i don't know where to begin. Is there anything this man hasn't succeeded at? His wikipedia page is massive, exploring every achievement and contribution to the technical age known to man.
He even has twitter! You can follow him on @GreatDismal



No comments:

Post a Comment